Sunday, February 05, 2017

Down London Road by Samantha Young (Audio Edition)

Narrated by Elle Newlands

♥ ♥ ♥  For me this book didn't have the same pull as the last two. I never really had an interest in Johanna’s story. Her past and current situation made for a story with hard issues to overcome. I wasn’t impressed with the way Cam and Jo met. Cam was a total jerk towards her and later on, he uses something personal just to hurt her, which really bothered me. Both leads in this book seemed very angry and jealous.. Jo was too insecure and Cam a bit too fast to revert back to name calling. There were points for me where I couldn’t understand why Jo couldn’t see she was doing the same things she was accusing Cam of doing. I just wonder if these two keep up this current model.. How long will they actually last?

That said, we also get to meet Cole, Johanna’s younger brother - I liked him a lot. He and Cam have a great relationship and I saw that he gets a book of his own, which I am totally looking forward to. The writing was good and the narration easy to listen to. Yes, it didn’t draw me in as much as the other books, but there was deeper problems for the leads to deal with (abuse, and alcoholism) and this required more backstory, and explanation, which, I felt  was done well. The narrator also made this book an easy listen. She was a little breathy for Cam’s voice but I got used to that.  Had I read this and not listened.. It would have taken me longer I think.  Worth the read?  Yes as you get to see what’s happening with all the other characters and how their stories progress. I am looking forward to the next book.


The Blurb:

Johanna Walker is used to taking charge. But she’s about to meet someone who will make her lose control....

It has always been up to Johanna to care for her family, particularly her younger brother, Cole. With an absent father and a useless mother, she’s been making decisions based on what’s best for Cole for as long as she can remember. She even determines what men to date by how much they can provide for her brother and her, not on whatever sparks may—or may not—fly.

But with Cameron MacCabe, the attraction is undeniable. The sexy new bartender at work gives her butterflies every time she looks at him. And for once, Jo is tempted to put her needs first. Cam is just as obsessed with getting to know Jo, but her walls are too solid to let him get close enough to even try.

Then Cam moves into the flat below Jo’s, and their blistering connection becomes impossible to ignore. Especially since Cam is determined to uncover all of Jo’s secrets …even if it means taking apart her defenses piece by piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment